AGE-FRIENDLY LIVING AND FUTURE WITH YOUR GERONTOLOGY STUDIES.
Do you want to advocate for the needs of older people and sustainably increase their quality of life with the help of targeted measures and concepts? The demographic change in our society poses new challenges for all of us and requires continued adaptation of structures in many different respects. This phenomenon requires experts who are trained in operative, planning, coordination, consulting, and teaching activities. The bachelor study course Gerontology at the IU University will enrich you with interdisciplinary expert knowledge. This expertise will support you later on, for example, as a speaker for senior citizen work, senior citizen consultant, or social worker in the elderly care on a municipal level or in the free economy.
The curriculum of the IU study course Gerontology is based on the basic subject catalogue of the German Society for Gerontology and Geriatrics (DGGG). You will be taught basic know-how in the fields of geriatrics, geriatric psychiatry, geriatric psychology, intervention gerontology, geriatric sociology, adult education, as well as social policy. This also includes interdisciplinary skills and knowledge of relevant framework conditions. Furthermore, there is the possibility to obtain a qualification as a nursing consultant in accordance with § 7a SGB XI and a selection of individual specialisations to specifically prepare you for your preferred field of activity. These speciasations include consulting, outpatient or inpatient nursing care for the sick and elderly, or corporate health management.
Do you want to know more?
In our free and non-binding information material you will find out everything about:
- Content of your studies
- Admission and application
- Prices in detail
Why you should study at IU
- SALARY INCREASE up to 20%
- By studying at IU International University, you can expect up to 20% more salary in your future career.
- MORE RESPONSIBILITY IN THE JOBS OF THE FUTURE
- The job market is constantly changing - studying with us gives you the perfect preparation for the business world.
- OPTIMAL PROMOTION AND CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- Start out in the professional world without compromises - no problem with a degree from us.
Consultant for seniors
As a consultant for seniors, you develop concepts that set up the framework for an active and socially integrated life in old age. You plan and promote new offerings for long-term, independent living in familiar surroundings and for pioneering work with seniors. In your work, you stand up for the interests of the older generation.
Consultant for the elderly
As a consultant for the elderly, you are an expert on issues faced by elderly people and advise them and their relatives on central topics such as elderly-friendly living, home care, health and long-term care insurance benefits. Your goal is to maintain and promote the quality of life and self-determination of older people in their homes.
Social workers in care facilities for the elderly
As a social worker in care facilities for the elderly, you work on preventing, managing, and solving the social problems faced by elderly people. You stand by them as they cope with everyday life, motivate them to occupy themselves in meaningful ways, and take on planning and administrative tasks. You will work in retirement and nursing homes as well as in rehabilitation clinics, daycare centres for the elderly, and geriatric hospitals.
- Outpatient nursing and geriatric care
- Labour and personnel rights for social institutions
- Organisational development
- Work and organisational psychology
- General didactics
Our bachelor's degree programs are generally free admission programs. Precondition, in any case, is at least a university entrance qualification in the form of:
- A General qualification diploma or vocational technical diploma
- An entrance qualification for studies at universities of applied sciences
- A master craftsman's diploma
- Or advanced further training
- Or at least two years of vocational training plus at least three years of professional experience.
For detailed information and advice about possible exceptions, please refer to the corresponding subpage of the respective bachelor's degree program.
Have you already completed a vocational training, have you been working professionally for several years or have you been able to successfully complete your studies? Perfect! This is because you can then have certain prior credits and academic achievements specifically recognized to shorten your study time and reduce your tuition fees.
You can find out which of your previous degrees, certificates or professional experience and skills can be credited to you on the websites of the individual course of study or directly from the student advisor for the location you are interested in.
Sounds good? Secure
your study place!
Sounds good? Secure
your study place!
The study that adapts to your life
Request information on the type of study that is best for you.
For maximum flexibility and maximum success - study 100% online
- Ideal for graduating with maximum flexibility: study when, where and how you want.
- 100% online study - no compulsory attendance and optionally full or part-time
- Take exams online or locally if you wish
- Maximum support from tutors, professors and study coaches
Popular degree programs
Social work represents the best possible preparation for ensuring social justice and equal opportunities for children, young people and adults in all life situations.
Health management enables people to convince themselves to maintain and improve their health.
Nutrition science deals with the composition and effects of nutrition and gets to the bottom of diet-related diseases.
What we have to offer
- study programmes to choose from, tailored to your needs
- companies educate with us as practice partners
- locations or study online worldwide
Save 1.444€ by 2 December
for a distance learning programme
Save 1.444€ & get a free iPad
by 2 December for distance learning
Request free information