Bachelor's in Special Education: actively and responsibly shaping the world in which we live.
Do you want to actively support and specifically assist people with chronic diseases, emotional-behavioural disorders, or physical and mental impairments? As a student of the Bachelor's Degree Programme in Special Education at IU, you will learn to shape social structures in the spirit of inclusion. You will acquire subject-specific methods of action and social science skills in a practice-oriented way. These skills will provide you with all the tools to excel in important management positions in social and health care as a state-approved Special Education teacher.
The IU Bachelor's Degree Programme in Special Education prepares you innovatively and practically for the social and health care sector. In addition to Special Education content, you will also gain a transdisciplinary insight into selected specialist areas such as Psychology, Medicine, and Neurobiology. You will be able to further develop your expertise in selected areas such as entrepreneurship, nursing and hospital management, or the management of social institutions. This will enable you to gain a holistic understanding of the concerns of your future clients and help people with disabilities participate in society.
Do you want to know more?
In our free and non-binding information material you will find out everything about:
- Content of your studies
- Admission and application
- Prices in detail
Why you should study at IU
- SALARY INCREASE up to 20%
- By studying at IU International University, you can expect up to 20% more salary in your future career.
- MORE RESPONSIBILITY IN THE JOBS OF THE FUTURE
- The job market is constantly changing - studying with us gives you the perfect preparation for the business world.
- OPTIMAL PROMOTION AND CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- Start out in the professional world without compromises - no problem with a degree from us.
Special education teacher for children and adolescents
As a special education teacher for children and adolescents, you understand the emotional world of children and develop ideas and concepts to promote their best possible development. You ensure a high quality of life for your clients, even under difficult circumstances, for example when they are clinically depressed. You sort out the child and the family’s living environment. In addition, you can deal with drifting and angry adolescents using professional treatment concepts. It is your responsibility to understand adolescent anger in a special educational context and be able to respond to this anger calmly and with authenticity.
Special Educator in working with senior citizens
Working with seniors is an exciting area for special education teachers. You work in the outpatient and inpatient sector and ensure that your clients are involved in their environment. In addition to a high level of empathy, special education for seniors requires solid and comprehensive specialist knowledge. This is crucial because your clients are often confronted with fears and challenges, and suicidal thoughts continue to be a taboo topic amongst this group. You know how to act respectfully and in a way that makes the best use of available resources. Giving the people a sense that they have an important place within our society during the final or penultimate phase of their lives and discovering these worlds together is one of the most important things you can do in this profession.
Special Educator in hospitals
The day-to-day work as a special education teacher in a hospital makes this an exciting profession. Patients and families need to be supported in stressful situations. Having the skills to effectively communicate with parents of ill children is especially useful. Relatives often feel helpless and at the mercy of others. As a special education teacher in a hospital, you can support them in finding their place, giving meaning to their actions, and focusing on a realistic goal. You play an important role as part of an interdisciplinary team, supporting work with your consulting and treatment concepts.
- Social history
- Philosophy and ethics
- Social economy
- Special education diagnostics
- Relationship and consulting management
- Special Education support frameworks
Our bachelor's degree programs are generally free admission programs. Precondition, in any case, is at least a university entrance qualification in the form of:
- A General qualification diploma or vocational technical diploma
- An entrance qualification for studies at universities of applied sciences
- A master craftsman's diploma
- Or advanced further training
- Or at least two years of vocational training plus at least three years of professional experience.
For detailed information and advice about possible exceptions, please refer to the corresponding subpage of the respective bachelor's degree program.
Have you already completed a vocational training, have you been working professionally for several years or have you been able to successfully complete your studies? Perfect! This is because you can then have certain prior credits and academic achievements specifically recognized to shorten your study time and reduce your tuition fees.
You can find out which of your previous degrees, certificates or professional experience and skills can be credited to you on the websites of the individual course of study or directly from the student advisor for the location you are interested in.
The study that adapts to your life
Request information on the type of study that is best for you.
For maximum flexibility and maximum success - study 100% online
- Ideal for graduating with maximum flexibility: study when, where and how you want.
- 100% online study - no compulsory attendance and optionally full or part-time
- Take exams online or locally if you wish
- Maximum support from tutors, professors and study coaches
Flexibility and clear structures - cleverly combined
- Perfect to take your career to the next level: Study while working
- Possible at 14 locations as well as at the virtual campus
- Mix of flexible online modules and regular classes
- Choose your own pace in online studies and deepen your knowledge with the help of experienced professors on campus
Popular degree programs
Social work represents the best possible preparation for ensuring social justice and equal opportunities for children, young people and adults in all life situations.
Business Psychology – excellent preparation for better understanding and positively influencing people’s thinking, experience, action, and decision-making.
Your Psychology degree will make you think further and deeper in order to understand human behaviour and provide individual counselling.
What we have to offer
- study programmes to choose from, tailored to your needs
- companies educate with us as practice partners
- locations or study online worldwide
Request free information
You'll find all of the important information about your study programme and IU International University of Applied Sciences in your personal brochure.